Mar 26, 2006

Lament for a lost love.

I’ve been liking the Flickr thing, it gives me something to do that is less labor intensive than blogging. With work being so busy and all and occupying so much of life, it is often hard to be able to take a moment out and just think of things other than work and life in general.

To that end, I read this thing up on the Monster blog which was so very relevant:

What scientists have only recently begun to realize is that people may do their best thinking when they are not concentrating on work at all. If you've ever had a great idea pop into your head while you were washing your car, walking your dog, or even napping, you already know what a team of Dutch psychologists revealed last month in the journal Science: The unconscious mind is a terrific solver of complex problems when the conscious mind is busy elsewhere or, perhaps better yet, not overtaxed at all.


Back to the subject at hand though, lost loves.

Is it possible to consider someone you’ve never been intimate with (physically) a love? I think it is.

The reason I bring it up is I keep coming across these pictures of this one Flickr user. Without going into too much detail, it’s a woman whose face I find compelling. It took me a bit of time to realize just how much the Flickr user’s face reminded me of a woman from my past.

The woman from my past is someone I’ve fallen out of touch with through the years, she has long since gotten married and had a kid but, you would be amazed at how often she manages to tug at the edges of my thoughts. It wasn’t easy being around her, she was beautiful to be sure but, she had had a rough life and she carried around a full set of baggage. I can tell you though, when it was good, it was beyond good to be around her, it was wonderful. There are few things that have been able to match it and I can quite vividly remember those days spent together where it was wonderful, they are the high points of life.

A year or two ago I had gotten a call from her out of the blue - she was going to be in my neck of the woods and thought we might meet up. It seemed to be more of a convenience thing for her and as the fates would have it, it never did work out for us to meet. The schedules just didn’t quite synch. I have her number just as she has mine and we each know where the other is. We don’t speak anymore, it’s just the way life is sometimes, you move into the orbit of each others lives the way comets pass in and out of our solar system sporadically every few years.

I just can’t help thinking about the bright light she cast in my sky and wonder when (if) I’ll see her again sometime soon and also wonder if she thinks about me.

No comments: